Malware is a type of Computer Virus. But did you know that there are many different types of Computer Viruses on the internet?
No one wants their personal devices to become infected with either malware or broader computer viruses. However, it happens frequently to people who are often on the internet. Read below to learn more about Computer Viruses, Malware, and how to stay safe on the internet.
What is Malware?
Malware is a catch-all term for any software designed to disrupt a computer, server, network, or client that compromises the user’s computer security and privacy.
There are different forms of malware, including
- Fileless Malware
What Is A Computer Virus?
A computer virus is a category of malware. It is a computer program or code that self-replicates or copies itself to spread to other devices or areas of the network.
While malware compromises the user’s security and privacy, a virus is explicitly the program or code that aids in compromising that data.
Malware and Computer Viruses can corrupt, delete, spread, and erase data on the devices it occupies.
Types of Viruses
- Direct Action Virus: a virus that attaches itself directly to a .exe or .com file and enters the device
- Multipartite Virus: attacks a device’s boot sector and executable files simultaneously
- Polymorphic Virus: programmed to repeatedly mutate its appearance or signature files through new decryption routines
- Resident Virus: a virus that hides and stores itself within the computer’s memory
- File Infector Virus: a virus that infects programs files
How to Protect Yourself from Viruses?
You can take preventative measures to protect yourself from contracting a computer virus.
- Be mindful of phishing attempts. Don’t give in to suspicious emails or text messages that can compromise your identity and safety.
- Try using a different password for every login. While it may be challenging to remember many passwords, it can keep a hacker or scammer from accessing your information on multiple platforms. Instead of remembering different passwords for every account, use a password manager like 1Password.
- Activate a firewall on your computer to monitor network traffic.
To further protect yourself from the effects of viruses, consider purchasing cybersecurity. Agency offers personalized cybersecurity services so that you do not have to worry about the threat of viruses.
We offer 24/7 real-time monitoring and response, VPNs, Next-Gen Antivirus/EDR, and ID Theft Coverage that effectively works against cyber threats. Protect yourself from online threats with the best cybersecurity tools.