You may have noticed some Telegram messages you don’t remember sending in your chats. Or perhaps a friend or family member told you that they’ve been receiving strange messages.
Whatever piqued your suspicion, keep reading to determine if your Telegram has been hacked and what to do.
Signs Of Being Hacked
- Suspicious or spam-like messages sent from your account to others.
- Not being able to log into your account when you know the password
- Your Telegram app now requests you to sign in every time you open it
- Being asked repeatedly to re-verify contact details such as your email or phone number
- Receiving a notification that your Telegram has been accessed from a new location
Any of these signs are indications that someone else has unauthorized access to your account.
Unauthorized access to your account is dangerous. Besides going through your personal messages for information, the hacker may imitate you to your friends and family.
The malicious actor could victimize your loved ones by sending phishing attempts, which could install malware or viruses on your friends and family’s devices. This jeopardizes their devices and data.
What To Do If Your Telegram Account Has Been Hacked
1. Remain Calm And Focused
If the hacker contacts you promising to leave your account once you pay a ransom or provide more personal information, do not agree to do so.
2. Enable Two-Step Verification
Two-step verification, also known as two-factor authentication, allows Telegram to confirm your access by sending a confirmation code to the email associated with your account.
To set up two-step verification, follow the steps below:
- Log into your Telegram account.
- Tap Menu in the top-right corner.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Privacy and Security.
- Tap Two-Step Verification.
- Create a strong password and re-enter it for confirmation.
- Create a hint for the password.
- Enter your email address.
- Tap the green check icon.
- Go to your email inbox, open the email, and click Confirmation Link.
3. Monitor And Terminate Telegram Active Sessions
Telegram offers a unique security feature that many other messaging apps fail to provide. On Telegram, you can monitor and terminate sessions in your app.
You can see the devices, their IP addresses, and the location of the devices connected to your Telegram account.
If you spot a device you don’t recognize, terminate the session.
To access this feature:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap Privacy and Security.
- Tap on Security.
- Tap Active Sessions.
4. Add A Passcode Lock
Telegram offers a feature that enables users to lock the app. A lock icon will appear on the chat pages when you add a passcode lock.
To unlock your Telegram app, tap the lock and input your passcode.
Ensure that you remember your passcode. You must delete and reinstall the app to access Telegram again if you forget it. Your chats also become deleted in this process.
To enable the passcode lock feature:
- Tap the three-lined menu at the top left.
- Go to Settings.
- Tap the Passcode Lock option.
- Look for the Passcode Lock option and toggle it on.
- Enter a four-digital passcode and re-enter it to confirm.
You can also change your password, enable the fingerprint security feature, and more from your security settings.
5. Reset Your Password
This vital step will prevent hackers from accessing your account in the future. Most hacking attempts succeed because people use weak or reused passwords.
Two main features of strong passwords include:
- A mix of uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and unique symbols
- Being at least 11-15 characters long
How To Protect Your Digital Presence
Hackers can access enough information from your compromised accounts to commit identity theft. As a result, you could struggle for years to remediate the consequences.
That is why protecting your information in all aspects is so important. Your devices hold much information about you, and hackers know that.
Protect yourself and your future by purchasing affordable, comprehensive cybersecurity.
On top of actively monitoring the dark web for your information and removing your personal information from the internet, Agency’s plan also includes:
- 24/7 Monitoring And Response Against Cyber Threats By Cybersecurity Experts
- Next-Gen Antivirus/EDR
- ID Theft Coverage
- Active Security Monitoring & Response by U.S. Professionals
Take steps to protect your well-being and financial security through Agency! By signing up for the newsletter, you could receive a free one month trial.